Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Gardening Lesson #1

Remember my beautiful lettuce?


Well, I have bad news.


I killed it.


Not on purpose, of course! (Considering I was really enjoying my homemade salads.) But I guess lettuce doesn't like as much sun as other vegetables. I'm going to show you a photo, not because I'm mean and want to make you suffer, but because I'm honest. I told you there would be failures. Didn't I?



WARNING: The photo below is not for the faint of heart. If you are a sensitive person, especially about food and gardening, then I suggest you seriously consider the ramifications before you scroll down.



Last chance!



Okay, you asked for it:


I know! I know! Isn't it awful? My heart breaks every time I go out there. I should probably just dig it up. But, I guess I'm holding out hope that some of it will come back.

So, the moral of the story, kids, and filed under "Gardening Lesson # 1" is: Plant your lettuce somewhere it gets a little bit of shade. Tomatoes, peppers, and other veggies love full sun, so don't do what I did and plant a big patch of lettuce right in the middle of 4 tomato plants. It gets mad, and then it dies.

I guess I'm going to have to start buying lettuce. And that sucks.

No comments: