Thursday, October 2, 2008

BFB: Chocolate Pecan Pie Bars

I've mentioned my best friend Amy to you before, and how she has a baking blog. (Incidentally, she also has a running blog if you want to check it out.) Amy and I have been friends for 17 years, since that fateful Burrito Day we shared in the 6th grade cafeteria! About a year ago, I guess, I was complaining to her about my lack of a hobby (an ongoing theme in my life). She said, "You know, you should try baking. It's right up your alley." Baking, as you may know, is a very delicate science. Measurements must be accurate and directions must be followed to the letter. So, I said, "Yeah... you know... that would probably fit into my OCD tendencies pretty well!" Since then, I've been baking more and more, and I do really enjoy it. Now, almost every time I bake something, I think of Amy, and if I have a problem, I think, "What would Amy do?" And if I still don't know... I call her. Missing Amy has been one of the hardest things about moving across the country, so my baking ventures are a way for me to feel closer to her.


Anyway, after I moved here, we thought it would be a good idea for us to do some long-distance, cross-country baking. So, when I was in town last, we picked out a cookbook together, and from time to time we'll be choosing a recipe to make together (but apart). I realize this doesn't have much to do with Oregon, with the small exception that the ingredients are from here, and I'll be baking IN Oregon. But hopefully you'll find something you like and you'll bake it too!

The first BFB (Best Friends Baking) recipe we chose was Chocolate Pecan Pie Bars. Check out Amy's bars here. I thought they were pretty good, but the chocolate really takes away from a genuine "pecan pie" flavor. I think if I make them again I'll leave the chocolate chips whole (not melting them into the syrup). Also, I had problems mixing the crust (not the crust's fault, but more of an operator-type error). I would recommend using a pastry cutter. I halved the recipe since I'm only baking for 2. I'll list the full recipe here, though:

Chocolate Pecan Pie Bars
from Favorite Brand Name Best-Loved Chocolate Recipes

Makes about 32 bars

Ingredients
Filling
3/4 cup light or dark corn syrup (I used dark)
3 squares (1 ounce each) semisweet chocolate, or 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups coarsely chopped pecans

Bar Cookie Crust
non-stick cooking spray
2 cups flour
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold margarine or butter, cut into pieces
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt

1. Preheat oven to 350. Spray 13x9-inch baking pan with cooking spray.

2. First, prepare the bar cookie crust: In large bowl with mixer at medium speed, beat flour, butter, 1/3 cup sugar, and salt until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press firmly into bottom and 1/4 inch up sides of prepared pan. Bake 15 minutes or until golden brown.

3. Meanwhile, for filling, in heavy 3-quart saucepan stir corn syrup and chocolate over low heat just until chocolate melts. Remove from heat. Stir in sugar, eggs and vanilla until blended. Stir in pecans. Pour over hot crust; spread evenly. Bake 20 minutes or until filling is firm around edges and slightly soft in center. Cool completely on wire rack. Cut into 2 x 1 1/2-inch bars.

Happy Baking!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Ummm.. so yeah, your's look better than mine. I've got bar envy.

justyn baker said...

Actually, after they cooled, and became more bar like. I think they are awesome!