Tuesday, October 21, 2008

BFB: Chocolate Scotcheroos

Scotcheroooo-ey goodness
When I was about 7 years old, I choked on a piece of butterscotch hard candy. I mean, seriously choked. There was a heimlich maneuver involved and everything.

I used to love butterscotch, and my grandmother always had a candy dish on her coffee table full of them. They looked so magical... with their shiny, sparkly wrappers and bursting with gold color. They were like little nuggets of sunshine. And apparently, I loved them so much that I got a little over-eager and sucked one straight down my wind-pipe. Yikes!

Anyway, since then, I've kind of had an aversion to butterscotch in general. Not because I don't like it, because I still do. But, an experience like that traumatizes such a young person. So, suffice it to say I had never had a scotcheroo until I found this recipe. And when I was reading the ingredients (peanut butter, chocolate, butterscotch, rice krispies) I thought to myself, "How can I go wrong?" Plus my mom used to make us peanut butter rice krispie treats when we were kids (instead of marshmallow ones). So, I thought these would be doubly nostalgic for me!

I was short on light corn syrup, so I had to mix in some dark.

This is what it looks like when you use a pot that's too small and you can't even stir your ingredients.

Chocolate and butterscotch chips. Yum!

Just press into the pan! No need to turn on the oven!

Chocolate Scotcheroos
Makes about 24 bars

Ingredients:
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup sugar
1 cup peanut butter (I actually think these weren't peanut buttery enough, so I would suggest increasing this to maybe, 1 1/2 cups)
6 cups rice krispies cereal
1 package semi-sweet chocolate morsels
1 package butterscotch morsels
Vegetable cooking spray

1. Measure corn syrup and sugar into large saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until sugar dissolves and mixture begins to boil. Remove from heat. Stir in peanut butter; mix well. Add rice krispie cereal. Stir until well coated. Press mixture into 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan coated with cooking spray. (I sprayed my hands with cooking spray before pressing to keep the mixture from sticking to my hands instead of the pan.) Set aside.

2. Melt chocolate and butterscotch morsels together in small saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly. Spread evenly over cereal mixture. Let stand until firm (or, if you're impatient like me, refrigerate until firm). Cut into bars when cool.

Be sure to check out Amy's Chocolate Scotcheroos too!

No comments: