Monday, April 27, 2009

Moving In

Alright, we're in! It was painful, but here we are. Our internet just got hooked up like an hour ago, and I'm excited to tell you what's been going on. I'm tired, so I'm not going to give you all the gory details just yet, but here are a few updates.

Painting? Yes, we painted some of the new place. Namely, all the trim (crown molding, baseboards, window trim, etc.) in the living room, dining room, and master bedroom. You want to see? Okay, here you go:



Sorry, it's the best I can do right now. I promise I'll put some pictures up, just as soon as I get all this sorted out and can actually walk into the living room to even take a freaking picture.

I mentioned that there were no outlets in the bathroom. Honestly, I don't understand how a family with 4 kids lived in this place. No outlets in the bathroom? Oh, and only one (yes, ONE) outlet in the kitchen. And, guess where it was:


Really? Really? Really? How am I supposed to use that? I can compromise, people, I really can. But you have to give me something to work with. I can just see myself wrangling with an extension cord all over this kitchen to try and cook one freaking meal. I think my rice cooker would fit really nicely over there on the floor, as well as the coffee maker and the toaster. I could just make that whole nook area "appliance land".

Sounds amusing for about 2 seconds (not really). So, we called an electrician to add some outlets (a.k.a. "receptacles" in electrician-speak) and to ground the fuse box because it's so freaking old and it's not grounded which is totally freaking scary. He did all this last week while we were painting, and then the city inspector came out today to approve the work that he did. Well, guess what? Umm...the electrician forgot to connect the new ground wire to the fuse box. He ran it all the way inside, and then just left it cut off. I don't know crap about electricity, but I do know that a ground needs to be connected to something. As a result, our house failed the inspection. So, the electrician has to come out and fix it, and then the city has to come inspect it again. Good times.

Oh, and check out my new stove:



Oh yeah, double oven baby!!! And, it was super cheap on Craigslist. What you're seeing is a vintage Kenmore, I think probably from the mid 60s. I was totally psyched to bring it home, but when we got it here and plugged it in, only the lights worked. No burners, neither oven. Luckily we asked the electrician when he was here...turns out it was just a fuse issue. Yes, it's so old it has fuses. Is it energy efficient? No. But is it totally awesome? Yes. I just used it for the first time to make my lunch (ramen). Am I in college again? No. But is all my food packed away in boxes? Yes. It cooked my ramen just fine, and I can't wait to make something even way better than that. I owe our neighbors some baked goodies because they brought us food when we were over here working until all hours trying to get this place move-in ready.

Oh, and by the way, if you want to lose a little weight and get in shape, here's a tip: refinish about 1000 square feet of hardwood floors, tape, prep, and paint some trim, and move yourself all in 2 weeks. Justyn and I have both lost about 10 pounds since we started all this. I probably didn't need to lose any, but I definitely feel stronger than I did a month ago, and that's a good thing.

That's all for now... I have to get some more boxes unpacked so Justyn doesn't think I've been sitting around blogging and eating ramen all day.

1 comment:

Amy said...

The place looks great! Great job on the floors! They look awesome and your kitchen is so cute!!!! I'm totally excited for you guys!