Friday, August 21, 2009

Food Friday: Zucchini Patties

I'm going to apologize in advance for the onslaught of zucchini recipes coming your way. Look, I've got a boatload of the stuff, and I've got to figure out some way to use it, so what do you expect? However, just because these recipes all happen to have zucchini in them, doesn't mean I've lowered my standards. They're all good, I promise.



I actually discovered this recipe last fall when my mom and I were discussing ways to use up excess zucchini. You see, Nashville recently got their first Trader Joe's, and if you've ever bought produce there, you know that their zucchini usually comes in packages of 3 together. Well, my mom was complaining about this issue, saying that sometimes she only wanted to buy one zucchini. And of course, at that point, I was like, Why? You can do lots of different stuff with zucchini. And I proceeded to send her a million recipes that called for zucchini in some form or fashion. Anyway, this was one of them. You'll be seeing the rest of the recipes I sent her in the coming weeks! Mwa ha ha ha!

I've made some slight changes to the recipe I found here. Also, I think you could probably bake these if you wanted to skip the frying (which, let's be honest, is not healthy no matter how many vegetables are involved.) But, that being said, don't forget I'm from the South and I like to fry things once in a while. So that's what I did. These are super easy and really tasty. I have made them as a side dish for dinner (to accompany salmon and rice) or my favorite so far is for breakfast on top of an egg with some avocado and salsa. MMMMM. It's damn good.


Zucchini Patties
adapted from AllRecipes
2 cups grated zucchini (a small-medium zucchini usually yields about 1 cup grated, FYI)
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
salt to taste (I use about 1/2 teaspoon)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1. In a medium bowl, combine the zucchini, eggs, onion powder, flour, Parmesan cheese, Cheddar cheese, and salt. Stir well enough to distribute ingredients evenly.
2. Heat a small amount of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Drop zucchini mixture by heaping tablespoonfuls, and cook for a few minutes on each side until golden.

No comments: