Friday, March 13, 2009

Food Friday: Sautéed Plantains

Ladies and Gentlemen, please allow me to introduce you to... the plantain:



Looks kind of like a green banana, yes? Well, it is sort of like a banana, but a heck of a lot bigger (I know, I should have added a quarter or something to the picture so you'd have a size reference.) This one I bought was probably about 12-13 inches long. Plantains are often eaten more as a vegetable than a fruit. They're not sweet at all, unless you let them get really over-ripe, like almost black. You usually buy them when they're really green (like the picture above) and you can do different things with them at different stages of ripeness.

For example, you can eat them when they're still green like this, but they absolutely have to be cooked. At this stage (green to greenish-yellow), people often cook them more like a potato. They're pretty bland, but starchy, and must be cooked before eating. As it ripens, it will turn from green to yellow, and then from yellow to brown or black. The only time you can eat a plantain without cooking it, is if it's black. For this recipe, you want it sort of in the middle stages of ripening, like this:


See? mostly yellow but starting to get a few black spots. The peel of a plantain is really thick, much thicker than a banana, and they're not quite as easy to peel. (Mine came of more in pieces, than long strips like a banana.) The inside smells a lot like a banana, but don't be fooled. It's still not sweet!

I wasn't so sure how I was going to like these, to be honest. I have only had plantains once before, when Justyn and I went to Costa Rica, and I didn't really remember them too much. (Which I figured was good... if I hated them then I would certainly remember that!) So I was browsing the produce section one day and saw these and figured I'd give it a shot. (This is what I have started doing... going to the store with no real plan, and just buying what looks fresh and good. It's a great way to learn about new fruits and veggies!) Anyway, like I said, I was a little nervous about how these were going to turn out, especially because they look and smell so much like a banana. But I was so pleasantly surprised! They were very tasty and super quick to make. So tasty, in fact (and easy!) that we are definitely keeping this one in the arsenal. It makes a great side dish for anything Mexican, South American, or Caribbean. Plus plantains are an excellent source of potassium, vitamins A & C, a good source of vitamin B6, they're high in dietary fiber, and an energy booster. Yum!


Sautéed Ripe Plantains (Plátanos Maduros)
from The New York Times, by Mark Bittman

3 or 4 yellow-black or black plantains, peeled (I just used one big one, and it was plenty for 2 people)
Neutral oil, like grapeseed, corn or canola, as needed
Salt and pepper to taste
Lime wedges (I used lemon)

Instructions:
1. Cut plantains into 1-inch pieces. Film bottom of a large skillet with oil and place over medium heat; a minute later, add plantains.

2. Cook, turning as necessary and adjusting heat so plantains brown slowly without burning, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve hot and crispy, sprinkled with salt, pepper and lime juice.

No comments: