Friday, March 27, 2009

Food Friday: Breakfast Banana Split

I've never been really big on breakfast. I tend to sleep as late as possible, thus my breakfast routine is usually rushed and made up of "grab-n-go" food. If I do have time to make breakfast, it's usually cereal, an english muffin, or instant oatmeal. As a result of this limited repertoire, I get tired of my breakfast options all the time. The problem is that I cannot skip breakfast. If I do, I'm a cranky mess by 10:00 AM.

I also have a mean sweet tooth (in case you couldn't tell already), and up until a few months ago I preferred a sweet breakfast rather than a savory one. Justyn always wants spinach and feta omelets for breakfast, and I can't resist some french toast and/or pancakes. Mmm. But these sweet options aren't so healthy, and don't really go well with the whole "getting healthy and eating fresh food" thing I've got going on. So, I've been taking a break from sweet starts in the morning, opting for eggs, breakfast burritos, etc.). So naturally, when I saw this recipe for a Breakfast Banana Split I had to try it.




It can take a little extra time to prepare, but is so worth the extra 5-10 minutes. If you wash your blueberries and wash/chop your strawberries the night before, all you really have to deal with is slicing the banana which takes no time at all. This is such a great breakfast, and a wonderful way to get some calcium and fresh fruit first thing in the morning. Do it! I, personally, can't wait until summer when these particular fruits reach their peak season. Oh my gosh. It will be heavenly.

One small note about the kind of yogurt to use: I would recommend a slightly flavored yogurt, like vanilla or honey (The Greek Gods brand has a fabulously delicious honey yogurt, and their vanilla isn't bad either) and of course go with non-fat if you can. Anything super-flavorful like strawberry, cherry, blueberry, etc. will compete too much with wonderfulness of the fresh fruit. Avoid anything that has a lot of extra sugar added, too. Remember you're getting quite a bit of sugar in this dish anyway (the fructose from the fruit).


Breakfast Banana Split

Ingredients:
1 banana, sliced
1/2 cup puffed wheat cereal
1/2 cup puffed rice cereal
4 oz container of lightly flavored yogurt
1/4 cup fresh blueberries
1/4 cup sliced fresh strawberries

Directions:
Place the yogurt in a cereal bowl, and smooth it all over the bottom. Place the sliced bananas around the edge of the yogurt. Sprinkle the cereal over the yogurt, then top that with the strawberries and blueberries. (You really can do this however you want...this is just how I do it.)

No comments: