Thursday, March 19, 2009

License to Fill

I can't pump my own gas anymore. Why not, you ask? Because it's against the law, that's why.

Oregon and New Jersey are the only two states in the country where you can't pump your own gas. New Jersey started this practice in 1949, and they keep it in place for two reasons: safety and jobs. Oregon, on the other hand, lists a whopping seventeen reasons for the ban. Included in these reasons are that the fumes are toxic, the risk of crime when customers leave their vehicle, as well as safety (flammability) and jobs. Apparently, Oregon citizens like the ban, because it came up on the ballot in 1982 to reverse it and allow self-service. It didn't pass. Incidentally, you CAN pump your own gas if you own a motorcycle, or if your car runs on diesel fuel. Apparently diesel isn't quite as flammable as regular gasoline, so it's okay. But considering the other 16 reasons still apply, I'm thinking things aren't making much sense anymore. I mean, you're still leaving your vehicle and breathing in the fumes...

Anyway, when we moved out here, we did not know about this law. So we were driving across I-84 and somewhere in eastern Oregon we needed gas. So we stopped, got out of the car, and proceeded to pump the gas. This guy came running out in his little orange vest, yelling, "Excuse me, Sir??? Excuse me!!!" We were like, "WTF is this guy's problem?" and looking around to see if something was on fire. It was far enough inside the Oregon border that he probably wasn't used to people not knowing the law, and he was not amused. This is serious business, apparently, and you can be fined up to $500 bucks if you get caught. And of course, now, when we go through Washington, we forget and then end up sitting our car at the pump for a while until we remember where we are.

Some people in Oregon are really upset about this law, like this guy who comments, "in Oregon, the legislators think you ought to be able to kill yourself, but not pump your own gas." (For those of you who don't know, assisted suicide is legal in Oregon.) I, on the other hand, don't really care all that much. I think it's kind of nice to have someone pump your gas for you, and you don't even have to get out of the car. I don't even have to turn my car off, actually, because it's a hybrid and the engine cuts off when it's in park anyway. It's especially nice when it's really cold out, or raining, though it hasn't been doing much of that anyway.

Only one time have I actually been frustrated at the gas station, because there were tons of cars waiting and only 2 attendants. I was in a hurry, and they were slow. But, being frustrated one time in over 9 months isn't too bad. So, I'm happy. I get a free service that I don't have to tip for, and I'd rather not be breathing in the fumes anyway. Plus, with the unemployment rate in Oregon now up to 10.8%, I think it's great that those people have jobs. So, more power to 'em. (Although I do watch them in my side mirror to make sure they pick the right fuel grade and they don't copy my credit card number.)

No comments: