Monday, June 1, 2009

Finally, Some Progress

Sorry for the radio silence over the last week... I got some sort of a cold (of course just after I was telling someone how I hardly ever get sick.) But I have good news: we have made visible progress. Check it.

So, I've mentioned to you that the master bedroom was a lovely mix of olive green wainscoting and pink walls when we bought the house. We corrected the "green" portion of that when we painted all the trim (just making it white) and it was quite an improvement. But, since we knew we were going to paint the walls too, we didn't tape off when we painted the trim, so there was a lovely overspray effect you can see here:



I mean, hideously ugly, right? You'd think it would've been one of the first things we corrected, right? I mean, since we sleep in there and all. But nooo... it took us close to a month to get our act together and paint it. Which is pretty pathetic, really, because it's only like 1/3rd of the wall space of a normal room so it surely wouldn't take long. Another serious issue in the master bedroom was this hole in the ceiling:


It's on my side of the room, and it has really been bothering me since day one. I don't know why, because the inspector said it was from a previous roof leak and that there shouldn't be any problem now. But even when I'm sleeping I can feel it there. Like it's a big ugly eyeball just looking at me all night long. Well, the first time it rained really hard a couple of weeks ago, I walked into the bedroom and there was a huge puddle of water on the floor right under the hole. Greeaaat. Just what we need - a roof leak. But, the roof is pretty new, so we were a bit confused. Justyn went up to check it out, and discovered that there's an attic vent right above it that had just lost its seal. So he fixed it for about 5 bucks and 5 minutes. Whew! But still.... it kept looking at me.

So we finally picked a color and decided to paint last weekend, and with the exception of some minor touching up, it's done!!! Ain't it purty???

And, P.S. - What do you think of those curtains? I'm still not quite sure about them, myself. Too dark? Too long?

Look what else is done:
The hole has been patched, my friends. Justyn still has to texture it to look like the rest of the ceiling, but it's mostly done and that's okay in my book for this project. (And really, let's face it... it seems like nothing is ever really all the way done around here. I've got to lower my standards, obviously).

And, I know you've been waiting for this one, so here's an after picture of the new medicine cabinet I promised you.

Again, not quite done, but done enough I suppose. The door opens, I can put stuff in it, and I can see myself so I guess I should be happy about it. And, it's not purple like the other one, which is a bonus. I realize that it's just a medicine cabinet, and not a beautiful one either. But it's the small victories I have to cling to. Just let me have my moment, okay? And no, I have not mentioned the pumpkin-colored walls in here with gray trim. I'm thinking maybe if I ignore it, it won't bother me.

We actually have gotten some other stuff done in the yard, but I'll save it for another post because it's especially exciting.

No comments: