Friday, June 12, 2009

Food Friday: Veggie Alfredo

Have I said how much I love pasta? Well, I do. It's probably going to be my downfall. I just love starches in general, I think. You know I've made the jump from white rice to brown rice, but I just can't seem to do it with pasta. I'm sorry, but whole wheat pasta tastes like ass and all you people that say it doesn't are smoking crack.



Anyway, I love pasta. I try to eat healthy, but sometimes I just need it. Like really really need it. You know? And I also love alfredo sauce. I haven't yet mastered the art of making my own alfredo sauce, but I feel that day fast-approaching. Although, I don't know why I would waste my time on such things when you can buy perfectly good alfredo sauce in a jar.




Back in the day (a.k.a. before I started eating healthier food) I would just boil myself some pasta, slather the alfredo on it, and voila! Dinner! But, I have found a much, much tastier way to have alfredo, and it's healthy, too! I invented this on yet another occasion when I had a ton of veggies to use up before they went bad, and no real plan for them. And omigosh, it is so good. I really think you should make this tonight. And you know I don't say that very often. So you should take me seriously. Tonight.

I never thought I would be one of those people who doesn't measure things, but it turns out that I am. Whodathunkit? I am a meticulous recipe-follower, and for those of you who are like that, I'm sorry. Of all the times I've made this (and I've made it several times), I haven't really measured any of the ingredients. So, I'll do my best to estimate it for you here. This makes just enough for me and Justyn, with a little leftover for one of our lunches the next day. So, if you're cooking for more, I'd double everything.



Veggie Alfredo
1 1/2 cups of dried pasta (I use fusilli or rotini, usually)
1/2 jar of alfredo sauce (about a cup and a half, or so)
1 large zucchini, sliced into rounds and then cut in half again (like half-moons)
1 1/2 cups green cabbage, chopped
1 cup asparagus, chopped into 2-3 inch pieces
3 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
salt to taste (I use about 1 1/2 tsp)
several generous twists of fresh ground pepper
1 tsp dried italian herb blend
1 tsp dried oregano (the Italian herb blend already contains this, but I really like oregano so I add more)
red pepper flakes (optional, if you want some heat)
romano cheese, to garnish
parmesan cheese, to garnish

Heat some olive oil in a large skillet and add the crushed garlic to saute for a couple of minutes. Go ahead and start the water boiling for your pasta, and put the alfredo in a separate small saucepan to heat. (Or you can wait and add it to the veggie mixture at the end to heat up. But I use a cast iron skillet for my veggies so I don't like to put the alfredo sauce in that pan. But you can if you want, and it'll save you an extra step and an extra pan.)

Add the asparagus to the olive oil to saute on its own for about 2-3 minutes. Then add the zucchini and cabbage. Sprinkle the veggie mixture with all your spices: salt, pepper, herbs, oregano, and red pepper (if using). Saute on low-medium heat, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, add your pasta to the boiling water and cook according to package directions. Ideally, when the pasta is finished, your veggies will be cooked just enough to eat (still a bit crispy and bright green, but not too hard to eat.) Keep an eye on them, though, and turn your heat up/down as needed. Don't overcook them, though, or they'll be soggy and weird.

Put your cooked pasta in a bowl, spoon the sauce over the noodles, and then top with your veggies. Sprinkle with romano and parmesan cheese.

No comments: