Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Nudity & Bicycles

You don't realize it yet, but I have let you down. As a faithful blog reader, you expect a certain level of service from me, and rely on me to report on quirky things happening here in PDX. Especially the uber-Portland-y ones.

So this past weekend was the annual World Naked Bike Ride in Portland. It's a big freaking deal here, apparently, but I didn't know. I promise I didn't know. If I had known, I would have been there getting the scoop for you, and taking pictures of nakedness. Although, I'm not sure all those naked people would appreciate a fully clothed person standing on the side of the road taking pictures of them. But then, if they did care, then they probably wouldn't be out riding their bikes naked, would they? Update: Check out my later post about a guy who doesn't approve of the naked bike ride.

Anyway, last year, Portland tied with London for the largest turnout of around 800 people. This year, they're saying that an estimated 5,000 people came out. Since I wasn't there, I can only direct you to read the account of someone who was there. This report is complete with photos. But reader beware: Not all bikers are supermodels, and some of these people have no business being naked in public. Don't say I didn't warn you.

In related news, the World Naked Bike Ride is part of Pedalpalooza which is going on here in Portland now. It's basically 2 weeks of nothing but bikes, bikes, and more bikes. From June 11 through the 27th, every day contains multiple events and rides for all ages, shapes, and sizes. During this 2 week period, there are around 200 different rides and other events you can take part in, to celebrate the greatness of the bicycle. There are bike jousting events, bike scavenger hunts, a "bike-in" movie, bike polo, zoobombing, even a vegan bike wedding.

To celebrate in my own special way, I got some new tires for my bike. If you recall, my bike is a mountain bike, complete with super-knobby tires that sound like a freaking weed eater motor when I'm riding down the road. So I got some slicks. Check it out:

My knobby tires (before)


My slicks (after)

The other bonus of changing tires, is that I learned what to do if I get a flat. But, it was pretty freaking hard and I really relied on Justyn to do the hard stuff. So, if I ever get a flat, I'm pretty sure I'll just call someone for a ride instead of trying to fix it myself. My bike maintenance skills have a loooong way to go.

Anyway, my new tires have made such a huge difference in my riding! I do want a better bike at some point, because I have been riding quite a bit. I ride to the grocery store, to the library, to happy hours, you name it. Between riding to the farmers market and back, and then to Trader Joe's and back, I got home and realized I accidentally rode almost 10 miles a couple of weekends ago! This was surprising to me, because the weekend prior, I had gone out to Sauvie Island (home of Portland's nude beaches) with a friend to ride, and bailed out because the loop was 12 miles and I didn't think I could do it. Granted, there was a lot of traffic and it made me nervous. But it was good practice to get used to cars, and I'm super glad I went. Now I'm pretty comfortable on the road, as long as it's not a main road with lots of cars. Anyway, I didn't think I could do 12 miles, but it turns out I probably could've. I just had to work my way up! I still can't take my hands off the handlebars, though, to signal when I'm turning. Which, is probably pretty dangerous, but I figure it's less dangerous than me riding one-handed.

**If you click through the nude beach link, it takes you to ORCOBA's website (Oregon Clothing-Optional Beach Alliance). There are photos there, again, NSFW. And also, keep in mind we're not talking about a Sports Illustrated photo shoot either. Same as the bike ride, some of these people should not be naked in public. But if you wanna check it out, go for it. I don't judge. I just provide the info. Oh, and by the way, if you are one of those naked people, I'm not judging you either. If you want to be naked, that's cool.

No comments: